|Internal Audit and Compliance Advisor
|*Please apply online at www.surrey.ca/careers to Job ID: 3944
||City of Surrey
||The purpose of this role is to support and facilitate business improvement and financial compliance across the City. This position plays a key role in optimizing the City’s financial procedures and evaluating internal controls, along with planning and delivering on the annual internal audit plan. It also undertakes special projects as determined by Senior Management. It will have a high level of interaction across the organization and will involve extensive, ongoing cooperation and coordination across all City business units. This is a hands-on role that requires someone with energy and drive, as well as the ability to facilitate productive relationships, deliver results, and successfully facilitate business improvement. Thereby, creating an environment and culture that contributes to sustainable business success and ensures delivery of the best value to the citizens of Surrey.
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Reporting and Compliance, this position will be responsible for supporting business improvement and enhancements, conducting internal audits and reviews, evaluating and monitoring internal controls, and ensuring compliance with critical financial processes. This position involves analysing complex financial transactions and providing internal customer service, leadership and support related to general financial processes for the City. The incumbent will bring exceptional communication and organization skills, a focus on continuous improvement, and a positive and practical approach to meeting the objectives of the role.
||Develop and maintain processes and procedures which ensure the on-going successful completion of the annual internal audit plan.
• Perform internal audit duties including business process reviews an internal control reviews.
• Research records and data from multiple sources such as departmental files and a variety of databases.
• Apply relevant legislation, policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Respond to enquiries from senior management and staff related to business improvement, enhancements and City procedures.
• Prepare comprehensive reports to support conclusions and communicate results to appropriate management individuals.
• Adhere to quality assurance processes and procedures to produce consistent quality of work.
• Participate in testing of upgrades to programs and databases.
• Support, as needed, Financial reporting during the year-end audit.
• Propose recommendations for business improvements and efficiencies.
• Lead or assist with various special projects that may be assigned from time-to-time.
The successful candidate will have the ability to:
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with senior management, and staff.
• Deal effectively and tactfully with stakeholders.
• Persuade, analyze, reason, evaluate and problem solve.
• Exercise considerable independence of judgment and action on all aspects.
• Understand/analyze the relationships between complex business requirements and technological solutions that align with City
operations and implement collaborative solutions.
• Demonstrate attention to detail in the application of best practices in internal auditing, Public Sector Accounting Standards, the
Community Charter, and other relevant statutes.
||To be considered for this exciting opportunity, you will possess the following minimum qualifications:
• Completion of the Canadian Professional Accountant designation and a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from a recognized
post-secondary institution with at least 3 to 5 years of increasingly complex experience; an equivalent combination of
education and experience may be considered.
• Professional certification in internal or external audit is beneficial.
• Track record of successfully developing and executing business improvements involving multiple internal and/or external
• Completion of a Police Information Check.
• Experience in business process and internal control reviews, external and/or internal audits.
• Knowledge of Local Government Finance and Unit4’s ERP are assets.
||July 22, 2021 08:30 AM
||December 31, 2021 04:30 PM