|Arborist (up to 2) - Tempoary Full-Time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
March 23, 2021
at 4:30 PM
||21-U026 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 140,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for up to two temporary full-time Arborists (from approx. April 26, 2021 to April 28, 2023) to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Parks Operations Department. Reporting to the Trees, Trails, Horticulture and Natural Areas Superintendent, in this unionized position you will be expected to perform of variety of arboricultural operations on Township properties. The Township is home to a vibrant urban tree canopy and natural areas and as an expert, you will participate in the continued management of these valued areas where communities and wildlife thrive.
• Inspect and identify diseased trees or trees posing an actual/potential hazard to public safety, determine remedial action and undertake emergency action, and write tree risk reports as required
• Assign, supervise and participate in the work involved in pruning, planting, watering, fertilizing, treating and removing trees with a small group of employees
• Answer a variety of questions from the public on arboricultural matters
• Investigate complaints and take or recommend appropriate remedial action
• Develop and issue work requests to contractors for specific arboricultural tasks and oversee work to ensure conformance with instructions
• Administer the tree protection bylaw and perform other related work as required
• Perform related work as required
• Completion of a Degree or Diploma program in Arboriculture, Horticulture or Urban Forestry including or supplemented by courses in arboriculture or a related apprenticeship program, plus sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training or experience
• Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in arboricultural and urban forestry work
• Considerable knowledge of tree species, diseases and integrated pest management methods and the ability to direct and oversee the work of employees and contractors engaged in arboricultural work
• Ability to communicate effectively with members of the public and answer questions related to arboricultural work
• BC Pesticide Applicator’s License (Landscape) is considered an asset
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a position of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a Police Information Check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) Driver’s License or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 years option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s License or the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
• Certification as an Arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture
• Tree Risk Assessment Qualified (TRAQ) with the International Society of Arboriculture
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $37.67 per hour (2020 rates), plus 13% in lieu of benefits. The hours of work are eight hours per day; 40 hours per week
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: March 10, 2021
External closing date for this competition: March 23, 2021
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||March 2, 2021 08:30 AM
||March 23, 2021 04:30 PM