|Trades I - Carpenter - Temporary Full-Time (from approx. july 20, 2020 - September 3, 2021)
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
July 2, 2020
at 4:30 PM
||20-U064 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 128,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a temporary full-time (from approx. July 20, 2020 to approx. September 3, 2021) Trades I - Carpenter to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Facilities Department. Reporting to the Facilities Superintendent in this unionized position, you will perform a variety of skilled and semi skilled carpentry work.
• Assist in the construction and repair of buildings, floors, roofs, stairways, doors, windows, scaffolding forms, furniture, gates, fences, ladders, stakes and wedges, door closures and locks
• Identify general facility maintenance problems, perform necessary repairs and when necessary, recommend other courses of action
• Plan, assign, check, schedule and supervise the work of a small group of employees when required
• Assist skilled trades positions in electrical and or larger carpentry and mechanical projects
• Assist in performing carpentry and maintenance work on Township buildings and structures
• Install and glaze windows/door glass
• Perform other related work as required
• Completion of Grade 10, preferably supplemented by technical courses related to the work and considerable related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Sound knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the carpentry trade and the various aspects of facility maintenance
• Sound knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of carpentry
• Ability to assist in the construction of a variety of specialized wooden structures, undertake semi-skilled cabinet making, sharpen planers, joiner blades, set and sharpen saws
• Sound knowledge of building systems and controls including mechanical (HVAC), plumbing in a variety of settings, alarms, electrical, mechanical and plumbing and of the hazards and proper safety precautions involved in the maintenance of facilities
• Ability to understand sketches and blueprints and effectively carry out oral and written instructions
• Red Seal Carpenter certificate and/or experience in construction and maintenance worker is considered an asset
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
• BC Class 5 (full-privilege) driver’s license or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 year option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence and the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
• Security Clearance for work at RCMP Buildings is required. (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment)
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $35.37 per hour (2020 rates), plus 13% in lieu of benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Friday 7:30am – 4:00pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: 9:00pm, June 26, 2020
External closing date for this competition: 9:00pm, July 2, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||June 18, 2020 08:30 AM
||July 2, 2020 04:30 PM